Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Blank page inducing blank mind

Every night I try to write and some nights it comes up okay other times it doesn't. Usually my cat wants to play in the midst of all of it so I toss a toy until he's satisfied. Then I return to write something but there's nothing worse that a blank screen. I start and stare and think, why did I decide to write. Can't I just take a single night off. No one will really know if I do because, let's face it, this blog is really for my own benefit and pleasure.

So, I spend the time thinking of other things that I could be doing, not because I want to be doing something else, but because I can't think of how to rectify the blank screen. I've written this summer, I know I have, but that's thesis stuff and fanfiction that I've somehow been drawn back into.

I thought about writing a story about a duck that somebody ran over and what kind of person would do such a thing, but I couldn't think of anything beyond: "Who is the one that would not for a duck stop? It's sound great as an opening line, but only is of use if you can go further and perhaps tell the story of the one person who just kept going. Maybe there are some ducklings out there that are plotting revenge on the person for killing their parent. I imagine Huey, Dewey and Louie huddled around plotting their revenge. I don't know what that plot would be, but I imagine it would be a doozy just because it's them. I'd like to see that revenge. I once had a near run-in with raccoons, but I quickly turned around to go the other way because I could only imagine then running after me as I ran around campus, trying not to be bit by the rabid creatures. It was an amusing image, but not one that I would want to be a part of.

My cat is back with his toy. He's really a good cat and he likes to play with the dogs. In fact, we often refer to him as a dog because he runs and plays with them like a dog.

None of this qualifies as a story of any sort, but I couldn't decide what else to write and I've still got a Star Trek blog post to write. So, I needed to get something down, which means a freewrite, which is likely of no interest to anyone. But, this is what you get.

No comments:

Post a Comment